What to Look For in a Good Car Hoist
While having a car lift is necessary for a mechanic in a shop, it can also be an excellent tool for any DIY enthusiast who loves to work on their own vehicle at home. A car hoist will safely support the vehicle, allowing you to keep it at a comfortable height and work on the underside of it.
It is important to remember that while car hoists may have the same purpose — to safely lift a vehicle — they all have different specifications and purposes. Some, for example, are designed more for lifting the vehicle so you can work under it, while others are engineered around storing the vehicle when it's not in use.
So, if you are planning to buy a car hoist for your home garage, here are some key factors that go into selecting the right model.
What Is a Car Hoist?
While there are many different types of car hoists, the two most popular are two post lifts and four post lifts:
- Two post lifts: These are the most common types of auto hoists, and they are typically found in both home garages and commercial shops. They are designed to support the vehicle from the midsection. Because of their design, they don't take up much room, and they tend to be less expensive than other types of hoists.
- Four post lifts: Unlike the two post lifts, four post lifts have a more open design that allows mechanics easier access to the vehicle. The four post lifts tend to be larger and take up more space than the other types. Due to their design and size, they also tend to be more expensive.
What Should I Look For in a Car Hoist?
Before you begin the process of choosing an auto hoist, it is important to spend some time researching the different options that are available. Compare the types of hoists on the market, then consider the type of repairs you will be doing, the kinds of cars you will be working on and how often you will be using your hoist.
Some other things to consider when searching for the best car hoist for you include:
- Check the measurements: Before buying an auto hoist, make sure it will fit in your garage. Measure your garage's available space and compare it to the hoist that you are interested in.
- Check the electricity: You will also want to know exactly where the electricity source is in your garage. Most hoists will need electricity to run, so you will need to plan your access point so you can place the hoist in an ideal spot.
- Check the warranty: While most hoists will come with a warranty, it is a good idea to review what it covers before you purchase the machine. A company that offers an extended warranty demonstrates that they will stand behind their products.
- Check to see if the company has the Automotive Lift Institute's certification: This is the only certification that is nationally recognized. They ensure industry-class safety measures so you can feel confident in the hoists they certify.
Check Out Car Lifts From North American Auto Equipment
At North American Auto Equipment, we carry a wide range of auto hoists for garages of all sizes. If you have any questions about any of our products, please reach out to us and we will get back to you. We look forward to helping you find the best car hoist to meet your needs and budget!